Saturday, November 19, 2011

How long will a bare root rose last before I have to plant it?

I bought a bare root rose, and have not been able to plant it yet. We are still having some nights that freeze. I live in the high desert. How long can I wait before it dies. Also, it has started to grow, is that o.k.? Do I have to do anything to it before I plant it?

How long will a bare root rose last before I have to plant it?
It is real important that you keep the plant in a bucket of water to keep it hydrated. Keep the plant in a sheltered area like a garage that is not to warm. It is starting to grow and that is ok . If you can plant it soon and shelter it with one of those covers for roses ( looks like a flower pot turned upside down) and lotts of mulch for the roots it should do fine . When you plant it dig a hole and make a cone shape in bottom of hole spread out roots over cone add soil to just below bud union . mulch extra well and keep well watered until well established
Reply:Roses are pretty cold tolerant. Mine regularly go down to -5 C or 20 deg F. Areas close to me get down to much cooler temperatures and still grow them with no problem. (They are related to Blackberries so their tough.) My garden books tell me the modern roses have a lower temperature range of 0 to 10 deg F and the old fashioned roses even cooler.





You can't keep it in the original bag for too long, they are packed to keep going for only a matter of weeks eg enough moisture.





I would plant it in a pot (nurseries do it all the time), to keep it going and if your really worried you can bring it in overnight.


Let it establish it's self and plant it after a few weeks. If it's shooting I would definitely pot it up.





If it has been bagged with sawdust or potting mixture make sure you wash this off well before you plant. Check all the roots after the washing and cut any broken roots neatly at the break. Most important thing is to not let the roots dry out. Plant in pot or ground immediately at the same height as where soil at the growers has been, water well to exclude air bubbles etc. Check regularly to see it doesn't try out but don't water if it doesn't need it.





My roses grow to temperatures up to 110 deg F with a regular garden water,mulch, manure and not much more. Its hot and dry so I don't need to spray.


No comments:

Post a Comment